Sunday 20 October 2013

ADMINISTRATION UPDATE (21 OCTOBER 2013)

As all who follow the adventures of the Marshies will be aware, this site had been strangely silent for some days.  If you were thinking tales of woe and misadventure, you were right.

Liz and I are now settled in Freo where we arrived last Friday morning.  I was like a coiled spring ready to attack the backlog with gusto during what promised to be, and in fact was, a particularly wet weekend.

Disaster!  Liz went in to do some banking to find that our programmes had all been corrupted by some bloody cyberspace invader.  It had even successfully attacked our internet protection systems.  

I guess things could have been worse....this might have happened when we were miles from anywhere in the bush.  Liz scouted around and found a local computer whizz and was off post haste to have things brought back to life.  Interestingly this chap commented that whatever it was that had clobbered us was good.  He had never seen anything like it before, and, even more interestingly, as Liz was leaving, another customer walked in with what appeared to be exactly the same problem.

As is obvious, we are back on the air again, but with new systems driving everything.  I am still coming to grips with the new formats and log-on methods (think about old dogs and new tricks and you will be on the right track!) and I have to confess the language has been taking on a coloured hue from time to time...blue!  

Real time (WST) is now 0700 hours Monday 21 October.  My UN reunion registration is on later this morning and then I think there are a few functions being arranged for later today before the real bash starts tomorrow.  In any event, I'll not be able to put my electronic pen to paper with certainty for probably a week or so.  I may be able to slip in a blog or two but no guarantees.  I plan to try to at least get us to Perth, excluding our time in Kalgoorlie.  We did so much there that I shall need a couple of days to complete that adventure, and given that we'll probably not be back there for some time, I am keen to do it justice.

So my apologies to all, especially those who's working day does not seem right without an early morning read with your cuppa.  We are planning to spend a week or so in the Wheatbelt region when we leave Freo this time next week.  In fact we have booked in to a Medieval Banquet and other jollies in the small town of York, and shall probably be spending a bit of time there catching up generally.  From then on our schedule is very much gypsy mode and I'll be disappointed if my missives are not pretty much real time from then on.


No comments:

Post a Comment