The bar opens into the rear dining area











and beyond that, at the rear of the premises, is the only currently remaining sugar cane field in the ORIA. And herein lies another story.






Sugar cane was grown in the ORIA for some years in the initial stages of the development, and a sugar mill was built on Weber Plain Road to process the cut cane and extract the juice. For a number of reasons this segment of the local agronomy failed, and the sugar mill closed. For one who had been reliant on the by-product of the extraction process, molasses, from which he distilled his rum, this presented a real headache for Spike.

But for the ever resourceful Mr Dessert The Third, this was but a challenge to be overcome. In short, he took himself off to Columbia in early 2009, bought and imported a cane crusher, came back and planted out 3 hectares of sugar cane and now this hand cut cane, crushed on site, produces the sugar syrup which is then put through the distillery.  Now that's what I call enterprise.



But the question remained......what does the end product taste like (irrespective of its fine reputation and many awards)? There was only one way to find out. Sample glasses allow a full range of tasting at a reasonable price (I forget now what it was...but it must have been OK....or had I by now become so used to the prices charged in WA as to be numbed in the hip pocket?)









This was not a matter to be taken lightly. Serious attention to detail was of the essence.





Liz had volunteered to the 'skipper' for the trip (and before you all break out into rounds of applause for her self-sacrifice, I'll tell you she hates rum), so I had free reign. Whooof!  I manfully sipped my way through all six on offer. The big daddy of the group, the Ord River Rum - Single Barrel, boasts 64.9% alcohol/vol.  Believe me this is no idle boast. This is rocket fuel.  And the weakest.....a mere 28%...fit for a baby's bottle by comparison!

At the end of this session, I remained pleased that rum is not my favourite tipple and that none of the product on offer here had done anything to convert me. With prices for a 750 ml bottle ranging from a lowly (Hoochery style that is) $67 for their Ord River Rum to a whopping $179 for 'Spike's Reserve', the level of alcohol in some of what I tasted was not the only thing which took my breath away.

Having said that however, I must, in all fairness, report that the products of The Hoochery are attracting wide acclaim and many gongs. Rum aficionados are loud in their praise of this Kununurra hooch. And if nothing else, this had been a hoot of an afternoon. 

In my next we head north to the genuinely old town of Wyndham, a place I had wanted to visit ever since this trip began. This is another of those places where I was wondering if the reality would match the mental pictures I had developed of it.