As a source of opal the mine was a flop - yielding just $27,000 in 25 years of toil. But the endless supply of bare sandstone has proved to be the perfect canvas for a form of sculpture that is attracting tourists from across the country.

"It became pretty clear that it was going to be a bread-and-butter mine - one that just keeps giving you bits and pieces but nothing more," Canlin said. "So about 10 years ago I started thinking about turning it into an open mine for tourists. I built some stairs and carved a little welcome hand in the stone to greet the visitors.

"I just thought 'this is wonderful!' I've always been a bit arty and it just jumped out at me."
Using the tools of his trade - a jackhammer and pickaxe - and a few kitchen utensils, Canlin turned his seemingly worthless mine into an eclectic underground sculpture gallery.

The result is The Chambers of the Black Hand, a set of catacomb-like rooms where dinosaurs, goblins and wizards and figures such as Nostradamus and the Archangel Gabrielle emerge eerily from the walls.

"I just go through books, encyclopedias, newspapers looking for pictures that appeal to me," Canlin said of the inspiration behind his work. "I did the Last Supper as a bit of a challenge and an Egyptian room for a bit of a giggle and it went from there."

Having found a picture, Canlin digs out a new space in his mine with a jackhammer, renders a wall and then begins carving the relief with a small pick. The fine work is done with cutlery from his kitchen. "The sandstone is perfect for this kind of work - it's stable, but very malleable. "I really feel it was fate that it worked out this way. You could have knocked my down with a feather if you'd told me 25 years ago that this is what I'd be doing."