Tuesday 9 October 2018

A ROW WITH MY PUBLISHER AND A REAL TIME UP-DATE (9 OCTOBER 2018)

I'm in strife. I've had a big row with my publisher. 

"Too much history, too much detail", she yelled as she threw my latest offering across the desk. "This is supposed to be a travel blog not a thesis on the historical development of Tasmania". 

"But", I protested, "some people are interested in this stuff and it is all part of the story." 

"Only you and probably one or two others", came the snorted reply. "Just because you are a history nut doesn't mean everyone is. We're the Mobile Marshies not the Adelaide historical society 'members at large'".

I stole off to bed in with my tail between my legs and slept on this cruel and callous castigation. 

Now that a new dawn has broken I have concluded she was right. My avowed intentions of some time past have been swept aside of late, and indeed I have concluded that I have been somewhat self-indulgent in my recent texts.

This is about to cease. Henceforth I shall include suggestions for personal research in those sections where, of latter times, I have been wandering off on a somewhat self-indulgent traipse down history lane. I have to agree, if I do not, we shall still be in Tassie this time next year.  It is extraordinarily to think that this time last year we were but five days from embarkation. 

As I am sure all regular readers have gathered, we are still in Adelaide and have now confirmed that this will remain the situation until we head off to Junee to spent a week with old friends over New Year.

Our plans beyond that remain nebulous, linked inexorably as they are to the fluctuating condition of Liz's mother. We are committed to FNQ in July and to a UN Forces Reunion on the Sunshine Coast in late September, but other than that...........??????

Despite the frustration of immobility (or perhaps because of it), we have kept ourselves pretty busy. Liz continues to minister to the ailing and I have been embroiled in on-going Surf Club constitutional stuff, two other quite complex investigational matters relating to other organisations, and a number of ad hoc commitments with my RSL group. We are also both involved in a small group charged with planning a UN Forces Reunion here in Adelaide in 2021, so the grass has definitely not been growing underfoot.

And at last it would appear that the worst of the wretched weather is past. I'll not bother you with boring detail.....suffice it to say it is quite extraordinary just how much more taxing life can be in a caravan in bleak, cold weather (aside from the fact that I hate it!). With the arrival of spring and daylight saving our daily outlook has become much rosier.

Well that's it for the time being. I'll post any changes immediately.  For now, it's back to our adventures on the Apple Isle, sans history!!

No comments:

Post a Comment